How to Care for Your Skin After Laser Tattoo Removal
If you have a tattoo you are not happy with, you may want to have it removed. Maybe it’s an unwanted reminder of the past or your style has changed. Regardless of the reason, laser tattoo removal is a safe and effective method that can fade body art over time. At Lynch Vein & Aesthetics, Dr. Matthew Lynch is a board-certified surgeon who performs personalized laser tattoo removal services using the cutting-edge Alma Harmony XL PRO system.
Laser tattoo removal is an effective treatment when patients follow proper aftercare instructions. It is important to care for your delicate skin following each treatment to prevent any unwanted side effects from occurring and ensure the best outcomes. Our office in Peoria, AZ will provide all necessary follow-up guidelines, and we are always happy to answer any questions you may have. To learn more, reach out to our clinic to schedule an appointment with Dr. Lynch.
How does laser tattoo removal work?
Laser tattoo removal is performed by Dr. Lynch at our Peoria, AZ office. Prior to starting your procedure, your skin will be numbed before the laser applicator is passed over the area of skin where you wish to remove the tattoo. The laser releases pulsing energy to heat and break down the ink. Afterward, your body flushes out the particles over the next few weeks. After your treatment, we will apply bandages to protect the treated skin. As new skin regenerates over the following weeks, your skin tone will eventually begin to appear more even.
What does skin look like after laser tattoo removal?
After your laser tattoo removal session, your treated skin will appear red and swollen. Similar to having a sunburn, your skin will feel very sensitive. You may also notice scabs or blisters, but it is important not to pick at these wounds as they heal.
Skin care after laser tattoo removal
It is essential to follow the aftercare guidelines given by our office to care for your skin after tattoo removal. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Make sure the treated area stays dry and clean. It is fine to take a shower as long as the treated skin does not get wet.
- Keep the treated skin covered with antibiotic ointment and a bandage for about three days. During this period, you will need to change the bandage several times.
- If possible, keep the treated area out of the sun to avoid causing discoloration or damage, which could delay your next treatment.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and avoiding alcohol. This helps your body flush out the ink toxins more quickly, which aids the healing process.
- Maintain regular exercise. This works to increase blood flow to promote optimal skin healing.
- Be patient with your recovery. It takes time, but most of our patients find that the process is well worth it.
How long after tattoo removal will the tattoo fade?
You should see your tattoo begin to lighten after about the first three treatments. For the majority of patients, Dr. Lynch recommends 5 – 10 spaced 4 – 7 weeks apart. Based on the size of the tattoo and the color of your skin, the ideal number of treatments can vary. Following correct healing instructions is the best way to ensure optimal results without any major delays.
Remove unwanted tattoos in Peoria, AZ
If you seek to remove unwanted body art, Dr. Matthew Lynch can provide in-office laser tattoo removal services to gradually lighten the tattoo from your skin. To learn more about laser tattoo removal, as well as the recovery process, contact the expert team at Lynch Vein & Aesthetics in Peoria, AZ.